Legal Office Assisting Degree
Can you picture yourself as an important member of a legal team, researching information in the areas of criminal, civil, real estate, and business law? Legal office assisting may be the perfect career choice for you!
Lawyers rely on their legal office assistants to provide them with the research and case support they need to effectively represent their clients. With your legal assisting degree from WVJC, you could be a part of a dedicated legal team.
Whether you take part in our legal assisting program in Morgantown or through our online course offerings, our committed instructors will give you the thorough legal assistant training you need to pursue the career of your dreams.
“I absolutely love WVJC. I’ve been here since mid-2019, and I’ve never had such a supportive, helpful, and compassionate set of faculty to work with anywhere. I’m incredibly happy I decided to enroll in their Legal Office Assisting program! The more I learn, the more excited I am to start my career next year, and I know that the connections I’ve made here are ones that will last well into the future.”
– Rachel McAllister, WVJC Student
Legal Office Assisting Skills
Students who come to WVJC for their legal assistant training will learn how to:
- Understand and interpret the law
- Conduct a basic title examination
- Draft litigation documents
- Prepare contracts, deeds, and wills
- Navigate the state and federal court system
- File legal documents with the court
- Interview clients and witnesses
- Use basic investigation techniques
- Use Lexis Advance for online legal research
- Draft legal correspondence
- Analyze criminal cases and the U.S. Constitution
Ways to Apply Your Legal Office Assisting Degree
With the associate degree you’ll earn from our legal assistant program, you’ll be able to forge a career that will let you:
- Assist an attorney with his or her general practice
- Work for a prosecutor or a judge
- Assist trial attorneys in a large law firm
- Work in the legal department of a hospital
- Work for the state or federal government
- Work in a financial institution
- Work for an insurance company
- Assist a real estate attorney
Externships and Certifications
At WVJC, we know your goal is to get into your dream career fast. We’ve designed our Legal Office Assisting program to meet your career goals and the needs of local employers. Experience and certifications are a great way to improve your marketability to employers, which is why we are dedicated to fully preparing our students as part of their legal assistant training.
As one of our Legal Office Assisting students, you will complete an externship as part of your program. This on-the-job training allows you to apply the skills you’ve learned in the real world to your ultimate career, and the experience is invaluable and as it allows you to showcase your skills to employers in your area who are looking to hire legal office assistants.
Not only does our Legal Office Assisting program prepare you to be career-ready, but all students completing the program will obtain the following certificate upon the completion of their Legal Research and Writing courses:
- LexisNexis® Paralegal Student Certificate of Mastery*
The LexisNexis® Paralegal Student Certificate of Mastery for Lexis Advance® is a five part series of on-demand training modules aimed at paralegal students which highlight topics important to the profession.
*Certification is contingent on passing the corresponding certification exam. Required/ Included in Tuition/Fees.
“WVJC has helped me figure out what I want to do and make me an overall better person.”
– Amy Sigley, WVJC Graduate