Both are great! Scholarships and grants are FREE money that you don’t have to pay back. The difference is who gives you the money.
A grant is a type of financial aid normally given by the government. One example is the Pell Grant. Pell Grants are normally given to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. Start to apply for this grant by filling out your FAFSA!
Scholarships are another form of financial aid given by organizations, companies, or corporations. Occasionally, you will have to write an essay or complete a task. Try asking the company you work for or your church about scholarship opportunities they have. There are so many scholarships available that has everybody has the opportunity to earn one. Some great websites to check out are:
West Virginia Junior College has many scholarship opportunities for our students!
- Stephen A. Callen Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship is named in honor of the founder of WVJC and recognizes his vision for offering West Virginians a quality and affordable education, leading to career and personal satisfaction.
- Community Awareness Scholarship: This is awarded to eligible high school students who are committed to taking an active role in the betterment of the community.
- Early Admission Scholarship: This is awarded to eligible high school students who complete the application process and deadlines prior to November 15th.
- Imagine America Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to High School seniors who have been recommended by their guidance counselors.
- Coal Miner scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students that have an immediate family member that has worked in or is currently working in the coal mines.
- Alumni Legacy Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students with an immediate family member that has graduated from WVJC.
Scholarships and grants are both free money to help you pay for college! Apply for as many as you can.