Are you ready to work as a legal office assistant in the exciting world of law and legal office procedures?
To learn more, call WVJC today or Request Information.
Can you picture yourself as an important member of the legal team, researching information in the areas of criminal, civil, real estate, and tort law? Legal office assisting may be the perfect career choice for you!
Lawyers rely on their legal office assistants to provide them with the research and case support they need to effectively represent their clients. With your associate degree, you could be a part of the legal team.
In this program you will learn how to:
- Understand and interpret the law
- Conduct a basic title examination
- Draft litigation documents
- Prepare contracts, deeds, and wills
- File legal documents with the court
- Interview clients and witnesses
- Use basic investigation techniques
- Use Lexis/Nexis for online legal research
- Draft legal correspondence
- Navigate the state and federal court system
- Analyze criminal cases & the U.S. Constitution
With your Associate Degree, you could:
- Assist an attorney with his general practice
- Work for a prosecutor or a judge
- Assist trial attorneys in a large law firm
- Work in the legal department of a hospital
- Work for the state or federal government
- Work in a financial institution
- Work for an insurance company
- Assist a real estate attorney
Externships and Certifications
At WVJC, we know your goal is to get in to your dream career fast. We've designed our Legal Office Assisting program to meet your career goals and the needs of local employers. Experience and certifications are a great way to improve your marketability to employers.
“They're preparing me for a career, not just leading me on. They want me to succeed and they're going to help put me in a job when I graduate.”
As one of our Legal Office Assisting students you will complete an externship as part of your program. This on-the-job training allows you to apply the skills you've learned in the real world with real people. This experience is invaluable and also allows you to showcase your skills to employers in your area who hire Legal Office Assistants.
Not only does our Legal Office Assisting program prepare you to be job ready, but it's also designed to prepare you for certification exams which can strengthen your appeal in the job market.
All legal students will prepare for and are required to sit for the National Federation of Paralegal Associations' (NFPA) Paralegal CORE Competency Exam (PCCE).
Legal office assistants are an important part of the law team. Dress like a professional, have a successful career and achieve financial security. To learn more about the program, call WVJC today or Request Information!