Institution: West Virginia Junior College (WVJC)
Job Title: Simulation Technician
Location: Morgantown, WV (Home Base)
Be a part of a dynamic team that is bringing nursing education to West Virginia’s most disadvantaged counties in an innovative way. This concept is like none other in the state, and those involved will be pioneers of something special.
West Virginia Junior College (WVJC) was founded in 1922 and has a rich history serving the community. In keeping with our innovative past, WVJC is launching a blended (residential/online) associate degree nursing program focused on providing access to students in four rural county regions consisting of 19 total rural counties. Students take classes online while attending lab and clinical experiences in their local rural county regions in the evenings and on weekends.
Even more unique is that nursing skills laboratory and clinical experiences will be enhanced with a state-of-the-art Mobile Simulation Lab (MSL). The MSL is a newly designed RV with two fully equipped patient care rooms containing adult, obstetrics, and pediatric high-fidelity simulators; a control room with two controller stations; advanced technology for recording and reviewing student practice; internal cellular internet capabilities, and exterior TV for participants outside the MSL.
WVJC is looking for faculty and staff who find innovation exciting! Applications are being accepted now for full-time and part-time positions. Be extraordinary and apply today. Let’s innovate together!
To empower change by creating opportunity.
Our Core Values (WE CARE)
- Work Ethic – We achieve success through hard work and an unwavering commitment to our purpose.
- Exemplary – We demonstrate the highest level of integrity, ethical standards, and professionalism.
- Caring – We support our students, communities, and each other, in ways that leave lasting impressions.
- Accountability – We maintain responsibility for our values and outcomes.
- Relationships – We build meaningful and trusted relationships as the foundation of our culture.
- Excellence – We execute goals with passion, purpose, and perseverance, striving for the highest quality results.
Job Purpose (Simulation Technician):
This team member is likely a paramedic or EMT that has some healthcare knowledge but is also skilled in IT. The Technician will accompany the Simulation Specialist to assist in set-up and operate the simulators, run scenarios, and troubleshoot technical issues should they occur. This team member also is responsible for driving the MSL and maintaining logs of its use.
Qualifications (Simulation Technician):
- Education: LPN, certified EMT, or Associate’s degree in the area of health sciences and/or technology is preferred
- Motor Vehicle Operation:
- Minimum of 1-year experience driving and maintaining an RV or similar type vehicle
- Valid West Virginia driver’s license (standard/non-commercial) with a clean-driving record
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Ability and willingness to accommodate an occasional overnight stay
- Ability and willingness to stand for 2-hour intervals and lift objects up to 50 pounds independently.
- Ability and willingness to wear personal protective equipment (PPE – mask, gloves, goggles, coveralls) for 2-hour intervals
- Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Understanding of patient care simulation technologies and applications (or willing to learn)
- Computer literacy to the level of at least word-processing, spreadsheets, and databases
- Experience troubleshooting computer and or audio/visual equipment.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology
- Having an assertive and customer friendly style of communicating
- Organized and reliable
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently or as a team member.
Job Duties (Simulation Technician):
- Vehicle Scheduling & Operations
- Maintain a safe vehicle; may perform basic vehicle maintenance (e.g., cleaning, inflating tires, checking fluid levels, etc.).
- Ensure the MSL is in neat and clean condition, anticipating needed mechanical service, so appointments are arranged convenient to schedule
- Maintain the schedule for the MSL working in conjunction with faculty, affiliates, and other program partners.
- Maintain travel, maintenance, and usage logs for the MSL that are organized and readily accessible
- Drive the MSL to various pre-scheduled locations within West Virginia
- Checking-in users of the MSL
- Maintain the simulation mannequins to assure proper functionality.
- Maintain current knowledge of simulation equipment functions and updates.
- Participate in technical training and attend conferences/seminars to maintain current knowledge and competency with simulation technology and operation.
- Maintain simulation equipment to a high standard, including cleaning and basic repair of equipment
- Ensure all equipment is in good working order at all times.
- Works with Simulation Specialist to create a schedule and log of preventative maintenance and technical activities.
- Interface with equipment manufacturers regarding equipment troubleshooting and system problems.
- Setting up and preparing the MSL for users and operating them as appropriate
- Install, replace, and configure simulation programs.
- Serve as a simulation operator running scenarios and operating AV system components. Ensure all equipment, including AV, is set up appropriately and in a timely manner for training and course activities.
- Troubleshoot, repair, and maintain all simulation equipment
- Troubleshoot problems related to the use of computerized manikins, AV equipment, and task trainers, both hardware and software systems. Ensures functionality of equipment for course requirements.
- Report any technical issues or risks to the Lab Coordinator, Program Director, or appropriate staff that could impact courses’ delivery and scheduled simulation activities in a timely manner.
- Maintain inventory of all simulation and skills lab supplies, materials, and equipment and notifies appropriate staff of stock levels in a timely manner.
- Comply with all designated safety policies and procedures in the work area, including the use of applicable protective equipment when necessary to prevent exposure to potentially infectious agents
- Provide recommendations for budget and purchase of equipment, supplies, and materials.
- Maintain the simulation mannequins to assure proper functionality.
- Assist with special projects or initiatives, as needed and assigned.
- Attend meetings and participate in activities and on committees as assigned.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with learners, faculty, staff, and peers.
- Teach when necessary and appropriate
- Maintain the highest level of ethical and professional standards.
- Remain familiar with institutional policies and procedures as outlined in the College Catalog, and the Faculty Handbook and follow such policies and procedures.
- Promote positive and productive relationships with service area hospitals, clinics, businesses, industries, and agencies.
- Assist the students in developing an understanding of values, attitudes, and ideals appropriate to the health care profession.
- Understand and comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws and college policies
- Adhere to quality assurance procedures
- Maintain all HIPAA standards
- Participate in training/retraining and continuing education programs as necessary
- Performs other related duties as necessary
- Monday – Sunday with variable shifts that may, at times, include overnight travel
While the simulation technician is responsible for fulfilling all primary responsibilities listed above to achieve the immediate goals of the campus, he/she is responsible to meet all organization goals. As such, adjustments or additions to these responsibilities and the methods by which they are achieved may be required by management to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency across departments, campuses, and the organization as a whole.
Interested applicants should submit resumes to [email protected].
Get started at WVJC today by applying to our career training school online!
Request more information about each of our campuses by reaching out!
Scholarships are available for many of our programs and vary by location.