There is no doubt about it. Nurses are heroes! They help people through their most trying times. If you choose to become a practical nurse, you will be entering an honorable profession with a long history of serving your fellow human beings. Working in the field of healthcare is something you can be proud of throughout your entire career.
An LPN works under the supervision of doctors and RNs, performing duties such as taking vital signs, collecting samples, administering medications, ensuring patient comfort, and reporting the status of their patients to the other nurses.
Many different types of healthcare facilities hire practical nurses. In this field, you might get the opportunity to work in home care, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, hospice care, rehab clinics, group homes, outpatient centers, medical offices, or hospitals. Your training is portable throughout your entire state and there are many different types of facilities to choose from.
Considerations into the West Virginia Junior College Practical Nursing program are based upon the following:
- Student must score an overall proficient score on the HESI A2 entrance exam or meet the cut score results of:
- English Language Composite Score: 70%
- Math: 65%
* Cumulative Scores will be reviewed by the program director and will be considered on an individual basis.
- Interview with the Practical Nursing Program Director and Clinical Coordinator/Instructor.
- Essay (one page double spaced) on why you have chosen to be a practical nurse and why you chose WVJC. (Please sign and date your essay.)
- 2 References (educational, spiritual, or current/former employer). Please submit on business letterhead and include name, phone number, or email address.
- Comparative High School GPA or GED
These items will be evaluated and scored. The WVJC Practical Nursing Director and Clinical Coordinator will then analyze each applicant and reserve the right to make the final decision in regard to acceptance into the program. The following items must be completed prior to the first day of class. You will need to satisfactorily complete all of the following Nursing Program Requirements. These requirements are as follows:
- Physical Exam – All areas of the “History & Physical Exam Form” must be completed and signed by your healthcare provider with a recommendation for admission.
- Immunizations/Titers & 2-Step PPD Testing – All areas of the “Immunization Record” and the “Tuberculosis Screening Form” must be completed by your healthcare provider. All appropriate documentation must be submitted with this form.
- State and Federal Criminal Background Checks – Complete both state and federal criminal background checks with an acceptable status.
- Drug Screening – Results of drug screening must be “negative” for non-prescription and/or illegal drugs. Verification via current valid prescription for any medications you may be taking that result in a positive/false positive will be required.
- Proof of Current CPR Training – Complete the American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider course and submit a copy of your certification to the WVJC Practical Nursing Director.
- Uniforms – Fitted for appropriate uniforms and ID Badge obtained.
- Child Abuse Clearance – Complete the Child Abuse Clearance form.