Launch Your Career In Months With WVJC Online
Can you picture yourself as an important member of a legal team, researching information in the areas of criminal, civil, real estate, and business law? Legal office assisting may be the perfect career choice for you!
Lawyers rely on their legal office assistants to provide them with the research and case support they need to effectively represent their clients. With your legal assisting degree from WVJC, you could be a part of a dedicated legal team.
Whether you take part in our legal assisting program in Morgantown or through our online course offerings, our committed instructors will give you the thorough legal assistant training you need to pursue the career of your dreams.
“My education at WVJC absolutely prepared me for my career and then some. So many growth opportunities. So grateful to my instructors who also became amazing mentors. My next stop – MBA or law school!”
– Christina Speakman, Legal Office Assisting Graduate
Online College that Works!
WVJC Online helps you balance your studies with work and family responsibilities, by offering you the opportunity to stay home and go to school. WVJC Online offers the following services:
- Small-school atmosphere
- 24/7 tech support
- Mobile access
- Interactive labs
- Career services
- Quality affordable degrees
- Be career ready in months
Real Skills For Real Jobs
Students who come to WVJC Online for their legal assistant training will learn how to:
- Understand and interpret the law
- Conduct a basic title examination
- Draft litigation documents
- Prepare contracts, deeds, and wills
- File legal documents with the court
- Interview clients and witnesses
- Use basic investigation techniques
- Use Lexis/Nexis for online legal research
- Draft legal correspondence
- Navigate the state and federal court system
- Analyze criminal cases & the U.S. Constitution
Applying Your Degree
With the associate degree you’ll earn from our legal assistant program, you’ll be able to forge a path that will let you:
- Assist an attorney with his general practice
- Work for a prosecutor or a judge
- Assist trial attorneys in a large law firm
- Work in the legal department of a hospital
- Work for the state or federal government
- Work in a financial institution
- Work for an insurance company
- Assist a real estate attorney
Externships and Certifications
At WVJC Online, we know your goal is to get into your dream career fast. We’ve designed our Legal Office Assisting program to meet your career goals and the needs of employers. Experience and certifications are a great way to improve your marketability to employers, which is why we are dedicated to fully preparing our students as part of their legal assistant training.
As one of our online Legal Office Assisting students, you will complete an externship as part of your program. This on-the-job training allows you to apply the skills you’ve learned in the real world to your ultimate career, and the experience is invaluable and as it allows you to showcase your skills to employers in your area who are looking to hire legal office assistants.
Not only does our Legal Office Assisting program prepare you to be career-ready, but all students completing the program will obtain the following certificate upon the completion of their Legal Research and Writing courses:
- LexisNexis® Paralegal Student Certificate of Mastery*
The LexisNexis® Paralegal Student Certificate of Mastery for Lexis Advance® is a five part series of on-demand training modules aimed at paralegal students which highlight topics important to the profession.
*Certification is contingent on passing the corresponding certification exam. Required/ Included in Tuition/Fees.