Job Title: Nursing Instructor – Clinical
Location: WV / Remote
Status: Full-time, Part-time, Adjunct, or Remote
Be part of a dynamic team that brings nursing education to West Virginians in an innovative way. This nursing education model is like none other in the state, and those involved will be pioneers of something special.
West Virginia Junior College (WVJC) was founded in 1892 and has a rich history of serving the community. In keeping with our innovative past, WVJC has launched accelerated hybrid online associate degree nursing programs across the state. Students take classes online while attending lab and clinical experiences in their local community in the evenings and on weekends.
Even more unique is that nursing skills laboratory and clinical experiences will be enhanced with a state-of-the-art Mobile Nursing Lab (MNL). The MNL is a customized specialty-use vehicle with two fully equipped patient care rooms containing adult, obstetrics, and pediatric high-fidelity simulators; a control room with two controller stations; advanced technology for recording and reviewing student practice; internal cellular internet capabilities, and exterior TV for participants outside the MNL.
WVJC is looking for full-time and part-time nursing instructors and staff interested in working remotely. Apply today if you have what it takes to contribute as an innovative nursing team member!
To empower change by creating opportunity.
Our Core Values (WE CARE)
- Work Ethic – We achieve success through hard work and an unwavering commitment to our purpose.
- Exemplary – We demonstrate the highest level of integrity, ethical standards, and professionalism.
- Caring – We support our students, communities, and each other, in ways that leave lasting impressions.
- Accountability – We maintain responsibility for our values and outcomes.
- Relationships – We build meaningful and trusted relationships as the foundation of our culture.
- Excellence – We execute goals with passion, purpose, and perseverance, striving for the highest quality results.
Job Purpose (Nursing Instructor – Clinical):
This nursing instructor teaches lab and/or clinical locally to students that live in WV or surrounding states.
Qualifications (Nursing Teacher, WV):
Qualifications are congruent with the qualifications of nursing instructors as required by Title 19, Series 1-11.1 of the West Virginia Legislative Rule. The Instructor must meet the following requirements:
- Have a graduate degree with a major in nursing; or
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a major in nursing and:
- Be enrolled in a graduate program within one year of employment as a faculty member; or
- Ten (10) years of direct care patient experience in nursing for full-time faculty; or
- Two (2) years of direct care patient experience in nursing for part-time faculty.
- Three (3) years of occupational experience
- Holds a current, active RN license or privilege to practice that is not encumbered and meets the requirements of the Board of Nursing.
- Have evidence of recent experience in nursing practice and education sufficient to demonstrate professional competence, or for nursing teachers with less than two years of experience in education, the nursing program administrator will submit to the Board a mentoring and orientation plan as defined by Board guidelines and function under the guidance of a nursing faculty member fully qualified in the specific teaching area and professional competence.
- Interprofessional nursing instructors teaching non-clinical nursing courses shall have advanced preparation appropriate for the content being taught.
Job Duties (Nursing Instructor – Clinical):
For each course in which the nursing instructor is assigned, she/he will:
- Provide clinical instruction and demonstration of nursing skills and procedures to students.
- Attend and participate in new nursing student orientations for clinical sites.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with clinical agency management and staff.
- Work closely with the clinical coordinator.
- Utilize instructional methods that promote student development of critical thinking, sound decision-making, and clinical competency.
- Design and implement teaching strategies that will assist a nursing student to meet the course outcomes.
- Complete all clinical documentation accurately and thoroughly and submit it to the clinical coordinator.
- Refer all students to the laboratory coordinator for remedial activities as needed.
- Complete a clinical debriefing linking course outcomes to clinical practice during post-conference activities.
- Ensure students have access to assignments to have adequate time to pre-plan for clinical experience.
- Plan, review, and correct students’ clinical assignments.
- Assign patients to students’ care based on the clinical outcomes of that particular session.
- Evaluate each assigned nursing student’s achievement and progress.
- Plan and provide clinical experiences that reflect an understanding of the philosophy, objectives, and curriculum of the Nursing Education Program.
- Maintain high standards and promote excellence in education.
- Serve as a role model for students in professional interaction with other health workers and clinical facilities.
- Be prompt and punctual in reporting for work, meeting classes, and keeping office hours.
- Become familiar with institutional policies and procedures as outlined in the College Catalog, the Faculty Handbook, the Nursing Faculty Handbook, and the Clinical Instructor Handbook.
- Perform any other professional duties as assigned by the Nursing Program Director.
While the Nursing Instructor–Clinical is responsible for fulfilling all primary responsibilities listed above to achieve the immediate goals of the campus, he/she is responsible for meeting all organizational goals. As such, adjustments or additions to these responsibilities and the methods by which they are achieved may be required by management to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency across departments, campuses, and the organization as a whole.
Interested applicants should apply using the link below.
Get started at WVJC today by applying to our career training school online!
Request more information about each of our campuses by reaching out!
Scholarships are available for many of our programs and vary by location.