The interview process can be one of the more daunting parts of getting a job. However, WVJC’s career management department is here to guide you every step of the way! Here are some tips and tricks to help you land that job.
- Be sure to arrive to the interview site 10-15 minutes early, but no earlier. If you do arrive earlier wait in your car on in a nearby shop until it is time to go inside.
- Dress to impress! Women should wear dress pants/skirt, a neutral colored blouse or top, and a jacket. Be sure to keep makeup neutral and perfume light. Hair should be clean and fixed. Men should wear dress pants, a neutral shirt, and a jacket. Facial hair should be well groomed and cologne should be light.
- Before your interview take time to research the company and write down a few questions to ask them during your interview. Doing this will let them see that you really do care about the opportunity.
- Practice going over interview questions before your interview. Never ask about pay or benefits!
- Be aware of your facial expressions and body language. Be sure to smile and sit up straight.
- At the end of your interview, ask for a business card. Their business card should have their email address and contact information.
- After you get home, take the time to write a thank you letter, and email it to the employer. Doing this will leave a great impression with the employer and bring you to the top of their mind!